It is important to work with a hypothyroidism specialist who has decades of research and extensive clinical experience. Only a customized hormone replacement therapy plan meeting your personal medical needs will be successful in treating hypothyroidism. Dr. Hugh Melnick – founder of Advanced Fertility Services in NYC – pays close attention to the diagnosis and treatment of hypothyroidism – a common condition among women suffering from infertility.
Correctly Diagnosing Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism is a condition where the thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough of two thyroid hormones – Triiodothyronine (T3) and Thyroxine (T4). The thyroid gland is a small organ at the base of the throat that regulates your metabolism. Dr. Melnick –specializes in subclinical hypothyroidism and how it can compromise a woman’s fertility.
To accurately diagnose hypothyroidism, Dr. Hugh Melnick evaluates a comprehensive panel of thyroid blood tests, conducts a BBT, and uses the innovative thyroflex nerve conduction velocity test.
- When only using TSH level blood testing, many symptomatic patients will be misdiagnosed and denied treatment
- Blood testing for TSH in many patients return in the normal range
- A patient’s symptoms are the real key to the successful diagnosis and treatment of hypothyroidism
- The presence of antithyroid antibodies in the patient’s blood accurately diagnose symptomatic patients
Common Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Body Aches
- Heart Palpitations
- Unexplained weight loss
- Increased appetite
- Feelings of nervousness and anxiety
- Difficulty sleeping
- Increased sweating and heat intolerance
- Interference with the release of an egg from the ovary – resulting in infertility
Superior Treatment for Hypothyroidism
- The correct dose of thyroid medication should not be solely based on TSH levels in the patient’s blood
- Proper thyroid medication dosage must also be based on the patient’s clinical improvement of symptoms during therapy
- Treatment with a natural thyroid medication made from the thyroid glands of pigs – natural desiccated thyroid – is the superior hormone replacement therapy
- Natural desiccated thyroid therapy contains several natural hormones – it is not synthetic
Ideal Foods for Hypothyroidism
Eating the right nutrients and taking hormone replacement medication can help reduce your symptoms and improve your thyroid function. Following a thyroid friendly diet can minimize your symptoms and help you maintain a healthy weight. It encourages eating whole, unprocessed foods, and lean proteins.
Nutritional Supplements for Hypothyroidism
Any supplements for your symptoms must be approved by your doctor. Nutrients that are great for your thyroid are iodine, magnesium, selenium, and zinc.
Hypothyroidism Therapy & Infertility Expertise
Your initial consultation with the Doctor can be conducted via telephone, Skype or FaceTime.
Schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Hugh Melnick at Advanced Fertility Services by calling 212.369.8700 – or – post your comments and questions below.