The importance of quality sleep and treating hypothyroidism is clear – especially when you’re trying to get pregnant. Medical research has linked the importance of good sleep for optimum fertility. If you suffer from hypothyroidism, better sleep can help boost your energy level out of the fatigue mode.
Sleep and Hypothyroidism Treatment
Sleep plays a role in moderating hormones and stress levels. Female hormone production is adversely impacted when women do not get enough sleep.
- Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
Women who get less than six hours of sleep have less FSH than those who get eight hours. Women who sleep eight hours a night have higher rates of pregnancy than those moderate sleepers getting four to six hours – or – long sleepers getting nine to 11 hours.
The importance of quality sleep and treating hypothyroidism is clear. You can be proactive in improving your sleep habits by taking a few simple corrective actions in your lifestyle.
- Try to get seven to eight hours of sleep every night
- Avoid phones, computers, and other electronics for at least an hour before retiring to bed
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol for several hours before going to bed
- If you work at night, keep your workplace well-lit to adjust your body’s internal clock to daytime
- Stick to a regular bedtime and wakeup time
Whether you are trying to get pregnant naturally – or are seeking fertility care – boosting your fertility begins with getting plenty of quality sleep.
- Improve reproductive health
- Improve overall physical health
- Improve mental health
- Improve emotional health
- Improve whole body health
Tools to Improve Sleep Quality
- Good nutrition
- Nutrient and mineral supplementation
- Regular exercise program
Hypothyroidism Treatment Expertise
Dr. Hugh Melnick – founder of Advanced Fertility Services in NYC – has decades of clinical experience in diagnosing and treating subclinical hypothyroidism. Read the Doctor’s contribution to the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology about subclinical hypothyroidism and its effect on a woman’s fertility.
Schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Hugh Melnick at Advanced Fertility Services by calling 212.369.8700 – or – clicking the icon below.